Hiking | 3 days |
Day 1: Arrival at Fish River Lodge
On arrival, the guest will be spending the night at the lodge.
Overnight: Fish River Lodge including all meals, drinks, transport and activities
Day 2: First Day Hiking
Depart with your guide for an enjoyable 14km day of hiking starting with a steep decent of half an hour in the first level of the lower canyon. You will pass through a stunning gorge and go through a second half an hour decent deeper into the canyon until you reach an oasis of natural rock pools where you can swim at your leisure. Meanwhile a back-up team will set up tents for you with stretchers, mattresses, nice and conformable duvets along with bucket shower and chemical toilettes before enjoying your second night dining by the light of the camp fire. A dedicated chef will be there for an unforgettable dining and breakfast experience. Departure from the lodge will be at 08H00 and depending on the client’s fitness and pace; estimated arrival time at the fly camp is 15H00.
Overnight: Fly Camp including all meals, drinks, transport and activities
Day 3: Second Day Hiking
During the second day you will enjoy the 17 km walk down stream along the river bed where you may observe a variety of water birds including Heron, Goshawk and Fish Eagle. Depending on the season, there might be wonderful water pools where you can cool down in. The second camp will be at the natural pool in between oldest rock formation, Namaqua Metamorphic Complex, which is an excellent place to swim and to be taken back millions of years. Departure from the first camp on the second day of hiking is 08H00 and arrival at the second camp is at about 16H00. Again, the guests can enjoy a relaxing sundowner with snacks and drinks followed by dinner.
Overnight: Camp including all meals, drinks, transport and activities
Day 4: Last Day Hiking
Option 1: Hike back to the lodge with departure at 07H30, arrival time at the lodge is estimated to be 12H00.
Option 2: Depart at 09H00 from the fly camp and drive back to the lodge with arrival at the lodge at 12H00.
April – September 2015
Essentials to bring along on your hike:
- A small soft bag with your personal belongings that will be transported into the canyon by the”back up” team. (Your other luggage will be kept safe at the lodge until you return.)
- Small backpack for water and a lunch pack (supplied by the lodge)
- Clothing — temperatures can vary from hot to chilly – come prepared for both. Comfortable hiking boots, bathing suit, hat, sun block and camera/binoculars
Health and Fitness
Other than the first day descent into the canyon, the hike is relatively easy. Good health and a reasonable degree of fitness are required.
2 persons: N$7 000.00 per person sharing (max 10 pax)
Prices are nett and include VAT.
- 03 x overnight including all meals, drinks, transport and activities
- Private chef serving bush dinners and breakfasts
- Carry only light day packs. Heavy gear is transported by the backup team to overnight camps along the way
- Experienced and knowledgeable guides
- Personal expenses (Telephone call, souvenirs etc)
- Travel insurance